Some great tracks in 1971's charts

Post Reply
User avatar
Phillip Phlopp
Posts:30475
Joined:Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:16 am
Some great tracks in 1971's charts

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:53 am

Image
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled"
- Mark Twain

User avatar
Red Baron
Posts:8043
Joined:Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:07 pm
Location:Up a hill or at the seaside

Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts

Post by Red Baron » Sun Oct 04, 2026 8:16 am

There are. Also some rubbish - especially the number 1.

If I had to pick three:
My brother Jake - Free
I am I said - Neil Diamond
If you could read my mind - Gordon Lightfoot

My friend always loved Hurricane Smith's songs.
“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Gaspode
Posts:8153
Joined:Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:18 pm
Location:The positively bucolic Black Country

Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts

Post by Gaspode » Sun Oct 04, 2026 10:17 am

As a 13 year old in 1971 I'd pick

My Brother Jake - Free
Pictures In The Sky - Medicine Head
Malt And Barley Blues - McGuiness Flint

Now as a 69 year old I'd pick

Just My Imagination - The Temptations
I Don't Blame You At All - Smokey Robinson
Black And White - Greyhound
Odd thing, ain't it... you meet people one at a time, they seem decent, they got brains that work, and then they get together and you hear the voice of the people. And it snarls.

User avatar
Sandra
Posts:7454
Joined:Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:56 pm
Location:Scotland

Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts

Post by Sandra » Sun Oct 04, 2026 10:27 am

I always preferred My Brother Jake to All Right Now, but it's rarely played.

Gaspode
Posts:8153
Joined:Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:18 pm
Location:The positively bucolic Black Country

Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts

Post by Gaspode » Sun Oct 04, 2026 11:46 am

I concur Sandra
Odd thing, ain't it... you meet people one at a time, they seem decent, they got brains that work, and then they get together and you hear the voice of the people. And it snarls.

User avatar
Redpig59
Posts:29540
Joined:Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 am
Location:Beautiful Wessex

Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts

Post by Redpig59 » Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:33 pm

Red Baron wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 04, 2026 8:16 am
There are. Also some rubbish - especially the number 1.

If I had to pick three:
My brother Jake - Free
I am I said - Neil Diamond
If you could read my mind - Gordon Lightfoot

My friend always loved Hurricane Smith's songs.
<gasp!>
That's Middle of the Road you are disrespecting!
A wanker AND a pansy apparently.
Oh, and a wimp, and 'not a real man'.

User avatar
Red Baron
Posts:8043
Joined:Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:07 pm
Location:Up a hill or at the seaside

Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts

Post by Red Baron » Sun Oct 04, 2026 4:36 pm

Redpig59 wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:33 pm
Red Baron wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 04, 2026 8:16 am
There are. Also some rubbish - especially the number 1.

If I had to pick three:
My brother Jake - Free
I am I said - Neil Diamond
If you could read my mind - Gordon Lightfoot

My friend always loved Hurricane Smith's songs.
<gasp!>
That's Middle of the Road you are disrespecting!
Yes, you're right, I am. They were totally crap.

I liked My brother Jake and wishing well.
Free were the first band I saw at NCH.
“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

User avatar
Phillip Phlopp
Posts:30475
Joined:Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:16 am

Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:00 pm

I'd agree with all your choices and add the Stones' Brown Sugar. As I read the list I can hear all the songs in my mind's ear and that's from someone who can't remember what he did yesterday. Music can evoke strong memories, sight, sound (obv) but also smell. I was working in a mental hospital that summer as a ward orderly and all the villas had Radio 1 on and just reading Knock Three Times brings back the smell (unpleasant, 30 male inmates ranging from Downs Syndrome to downright dangerous) and their noise of one villa where in the mornings I had to clean the floors with those big electric floor scrubber/polishers and I'd pick up the rhythm and swing it from side to side in time with a little hippy hippy hip shake for the three knocks. You had to be there I suppose.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled"
- Mark Twain

Gaspode
Posts:8153
Joined:Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:18 pm
Location:The positively bucolic Black Country

Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts

Post by Gaspode » Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:40 pm

I agree Phloppy that music is very evocative. I can hear a song that can take me back to a precise moment in my life. Not a year or day just an exact moment. Music is just amazing, never trust anyone who says " I don't really like music". They are amongst us people.....
Odd thing, ain't it... you meet people one at a time, they seem decent, they got brains that work, and then they get together and you hear the voice of the people. And it snarls.

Post Reply