Good news Piggy!

Claude Balls
Good news Piggy!

Post by Claude Balls » Tue May 28, 2019 6:09 pm

DRINKING a pint of Guinness a day can help to prevent hearing loss according to new research.

So the old adage is true then; ‘Guinness is good for you.’

Guinness has long since been thought to contain medicinal properties, and a recent study at Pennsylvania State University has discovered that it may be able to help those who are hard of hearing.

Drinking Guinness replaces lost iron in the human body. For this reason, Guinness is commonly given to patients in recovery in an attempt to build up their strength.

The research at Penn State found a direct causal link between a lack of iron - otherwise known as iron deficiency anemia (IDA) - and hearing loss.

Studies showed that sensorineural hearing loss - damage to the cochlea or nerve pathways, as well as conductive hearing loss - problems with the bones in the centre of the ear, were caused by a lack of the mineral.

They noticed that a high level of iron in the body could also stop hearing difficulties from worsening, after studying over 300,000 people.

Kathleen Schieffer, author of the study, said: “An association exists between IDA in adults and hearing loss.

“The next steps are to better understand this correlation and whether promptly diagnosing and treating IDA may positively affect the overall health status of adults with hearing loss,” she said.

Studies in Ireland since 1759 meanwhile, have suggested a direct causal link between drinking Guinness and having a great evening.

More than 30 percent of the world’s population is anemic and needs more iron and is in danger of hearing loss.

Guinnesses all round then I guess?

The famous slogan from the 1920s was right, and the Irish have been trying to convince the world of this for decades. Guinness is good for you. Now we have the proof - not that we needed it.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/drinking ... rch-167390

Redpig59

Re: Good news Piggy!

Post by Redpig59 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:12 pm

So, it's medicine really?
That's probably why I feel so great after three pints of it
A wanker AND a pansy apparently.
Oh, and a wimp, and 'not a real man'.

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Tue May 28, 2019 8:45 pm

My Gran's doctor told her to have a bottle of Mackeson's Stout every evening and told her she would live until she was 100. But, sadly, she tripped over the open door of her washing machine, fell heavily and broke her hip resulting in a long stay in hospital and the inevitable pneumonia and death at 86. She might have been pissed. True story.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled"
- Mark Twain

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Tue May 28, 2019 8:48 pm

Which reminds me of the Guinness tag line, '"If he can say as you can 'Guinness is good for you' How grand to be a Toucan Just think what Toucan do."

How utterly pissed was the advertising team who came up with that?
- Mark Twain

Redpig59

Post by Redpig59 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:50 pm

If I drink a couple of cans of Guinness before I start on the wine, I don't get a hangover.

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Tue May 28, 2019 9:03 pm

I can and have drunk three bottles of wine and still be reasonably coherent. I can crack well into a bottle of gin and have no real problems. But, a few year ago I went with my brother down to the local hostelry and had a couple of pints of Guinness and that was on top of a a few glasses of wine we had had with our dinner and I have never been so pissed. The pub is about a third of a mile down a very steep hill from Phlopp House and there's zero lighting at night with a tunnel effect caused by overhead trees and I was pinball bouncing off each side of the lane all the way home. Didn't have a hangover, mind.
- Mark Twain

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Tue May 28, 2019 9:04 pm

Beer goggles got me home.
- Mark Twain

Redpig59

Post by Redpig59 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:33 pm

I'm always surprised by how much wine I can drink.
I still get pissed though.
It's quite scary really.

The cardiologist told me that I'm only allowed to drink one and a half bottles a week.

Oh dear.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Wed May 29, 2019 7:22 am

Great session beer, Guinness.

Not gassy and I don't get hopelessly pissed on it - also replaces eating.

I tend to drink it if they don't have decent ale.

Iggy's listening to jazz

Don't take my kindness for weakness...