Ale

Maximus
Ale

Post by Maximus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:37 pm

I know there used to be a thread for us ale drinkers so I thought I’d resurrect it.

Always swerved Aldi own brand beers but was given a bottle of their ‘Wild Bill’s IPA’ (not that one) by a mate and really liked it. It reminded of Marston’s ‘Old Empire’ which is a favourite.

Had a look at the label and the neck label stated ‘Brewed by Marston’s’.

Nice and hoppy, dry and strong (5%) and £1.19 a bottle instead of £1.89 for ‘Old Empire’.

Recommended.

Iggy's listening to jazz

Don't take my kindness for weakness...

Red Baron

Re: Ale

Post by Red Baron » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:13 pm

Anything by Hawkshead Brewery.

My favourite is their Red.... which is a malty bitter and other half loves the Windermere Pale which is a hoppy IPA.

We like to try different ales when we're out, we now have a micropub at the Dome, I had a stout there, Breakfast Toast which was very coffee flavoured.

Will this thread bring Gassy back??? Has anyone heard anything from him? :(

MIght get OH to try that one, Max.
“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:01 am

I'll have to find a pub in London that sells Hawkshead - I think there are a couple that I could get to in due course. I quite like Jennings which I think is Cumbrian but I also think it was taken over by one of the big brewers a while ago.

I like to try the different beers but, with the explosion of craft breweries, it's gone from there being to little choice to far too much!

Gassy has his ups and downs and disappears during his downs. I also remember that his wife wasn't in the best of health. I'll drop him a mail and see if I get a reply.

Iggy's listening to jazz

RockitRon

Post by RockitRon » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:46 am

Jennings is owned by Marston's. I used to like their Sneck Lifter, but it's a bit "heavy".

Cornwall's Doom Bar used to be good, until Coors and Wetherspoon's got hold of it.

St Austell's Brewery down that way is still independent. Tribute is a nice IPA - Proper Job is even better but unlikely to be found outside Cornwall.

Springhead Brewery is closer to home. Roaring Meg is favourite.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:11 am

We have Loch Fyne Brewery up the road. My favourite there is Highlander, it's similar to Hawkshead Red IIRC, but all the ales are rather drinkable.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:15 am

RockitRon wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:46 am
Jennings is owned by Marston's. I used to like their Sneck Lifter, but it's a bit "heavy".

Cornwall's Doom Bar used to be good, until Coors and Wetherspoon's got hold of it.

St Austell's Brewery down that way is still independent. Tribute is a nice IPA - Proper Job is even better but unlikely to be found outside Cornwall.

Springhead Brewery is closer to home. Roaring Meg is favourite.
I thought Jennings had been taken over - their products feature in the 'gift boxes' promoted in the supermarkets.

Weirdly, I had a pint of Proper Job in Brixton (not Brixham!) last week so it's made it that far...I don't think it's rare in London since I've seen it before.

We have the Westerham brewery as our nearest 'local' brewer. Nice enough and supported (stocked) by our local Waitrose which is nice to see.

I met the owner of another South London brewery, David Sambrook, through work a fair few years ago. He sold his stake in the Ringwood brewery, again to Marston's, in 2007 and got bored and set up small brewery pioneers Sambrook's in South London in 2008. Nice pint and still going strong.

Iggy's listening to jazz

Undie

Post by Undie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:42 am

I am not in general a beer drinker, lager for me. However some of the new IPA's about aren't too bad, Punk I like but wouldn't want to drink loads in one sitting.
On the subject of Aldi beer Rheinbacher is a great wheat beer

Redpig59

Post by Redpig59 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Red Baron wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:13 pm
Anything by Hawkshead Brewery.

My favourite is their Red.... which is a malty bitter and other half loves the Windermere Pale which is a hoppy IPA.

We like to try different ales when we're out, we now have a micropub at the Dome, I had a stout there, Breakfast Toast which was very coffee flavoured.

Will this thread bring Gassy back??? Has anyone heard anything from him? :(

MIght get OH to try that one, Max.
He disappears every now and then to have a think about things.
He always comes back though

Edit: Oops, I see Max has got there first.
A wanker AND a pansy apparently.
Oh, and a wimp, and 'not a real man'.

West LW

Post by West LW » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:54 pm

Transferred from lager to IPA about two years ago. I guess it must be an age thing. West Yorkshire seems riddled with micro brewery's. If your not growing weed in your industrial unit you must be producing beer.

My local is a brewery http://millvalleybrewery.co.uk/, but most pubs serve at least one cask ale. Wainwrights of the big brewerys is a fave and like Undie I don't mind the Punk Wetherspoons (can I say Wetherspoons?) sell, but our local branch does have a rotating range from across the UK.

Recommend Ghost Ship from Adnams http://adnams.co.uk/about/news/beer-new ... host-ship/ from Tescos if you fancy take out.
"It may be irrational of me, but human beings are quite my favourite species"

"Now drop your weapons, or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby"

Turnipsock

Post by Turnipsock » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:37 am

Maximus wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:01 am
I'll have to find a pub in London that sells Hawkshead - I think there are a couple that I could get to in due course. I quite like Jennings which I think is Cumbrian but I also think it was taken over by one of the big brewers a while ago.

I like to try the different beers but, with the explosion of craft breweries, it's gone from there being to little choice to far too much!

Gassy has his ups and downs and disappears during his downs. I also remember that his wife wasn't in the best of health. I'll drop him a mail and see if I get a reply.
Jennings is in Cockermouth. We went on the tour and got to try all of the beers, I still have the pants.

There was one beer that was exceptionally good, ...but I can't remember which one now.
How do you turn off signatures?