How true is this for you?

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:28 am

1. Heinz spaghetti in tomato sauce on toast
2. Curry was Vesta
3. Takeaways? Fish and chip shops.
4. Yes
5. Cheese and onion (bleugh) and salt and vinegar (yay)were around early 60s
6. Not true
7. I had my first Big Mac in 1979 in London. Vile.
8. Brown bread was a Sunday tea treat 'cos it cost more
9. Not true
10. True
11. Sugar was known to rot teeth in the Elizabethan age (Liz the First) through to Elizabeth II (see her mum as an example)
12. Fish fingers were common in the 60s
13. True, no one ate raw fish (except Gollum)
14. Bollocks
15. 'Dairy products' were considered to be the most healthy, ie milk, butter, cheese and eggs.
16. Maybe
17. Bollocks
18. We had our first BBQ in about 1976. Neighbours thought we were quite odd.
19. Tell the Welsh that
20. Dunno
21. Never ate them. My parents did.
22. Dunno
23. GPWM
24. Spot on
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled"
- Mark Twain

RockitRon

Re: How true is this for you?

Post by RockitRon » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:30 am

Further observations

2. There was an explosion of freeze-dried packet foods in the 60s. As well as Vesta curries there were Surprise peas and Smash/Yeomans instant mashed potato. All pretty vile.

5. I remember in dad's shop we had Smokey Bacon and Roast Chicken crisps, and on one occasion, Hedgehog.

7. Before Big Mac there was Wimpy. Had one of those in 1966 and then waited until son badgered me into a McD in the 90s. Hadn't improved much.

8. Yes, brown bread was considered better, posher, especially Hovis. Brown eggs as well - most shops sold only white.

9. The current TV ad for Lurpak butter encourages you to cook with it. In the 60s, when we were told we couldn't tell margarine from butter, there was P-P-P-Patrick Campbell telling us "Please don't cook with Kerrygold".

11. I looked for cube sugar in Sainsbury's and couldn't find it, although cafes and restaurants still use it.

12. BirdsEye frozen fish fingers were introduced in 1955,(and beef burgers five years earlier).

14. I remember Ski yogurts appearing in the shops in the 60s, in less sophisticated flavours than these days. Included prune and chocolate.

18. Ah yes, those dreadful camping gaz stoves. Half an hour to heat a can of beans.

21. Mum put prunes in rice pudding :roll: