Now that's a varied career!

Maximus
Now that's a varied career!

Post by Maximus » Thu May 02, 2019 9:14 am

Following on from sharing posts with Ron on the song theme game and I have to say I'm interested in people who have worked across a range of music and particularly those 'did they really do that?!' moments.

The example mentioned was Lyn Cornell (see the thread) and another was John Schroeder.

I got a cheap copy of John Schroeder's autobiography on Ebay (it's quite hard to find) and was pleased with the price and also that it was autographed. It's a fascinating read and madly of it's time with references to dolly birds and pictures of all the cars he owned from an Austin 30 to a 'roller'. He served his time as assistant to Norrie Paramour who produced Cliff & The Shadows among others.

To cut a long story short, he's probably best known now for his loungey orchestral output with 'Sounds Orchestral' and 'The John Schroeder Orchestra':

The John Schroeder Orchestra - Soul Trek

John Schroeder - Scarborough Fair

But he co-wrote this pop classic early in his career:

Walking Back To Happiness ~ Helen Shapiro

Aside from that he was the first to release Motown records in the UK on the Oriole label:

The Contours - Do You Love Me

He also produced and managed Cymande (who deserve their own section) who are now a cult early 70's UK funky soul outfit, much sampled in hip-hop (The Fugees, De La Soul, even Raze) really fine:

Cymande - The Message (1970)

Cymande - Bra (1972)

At roughly the same time he was also managing and producing...Status Quo, including their first hit (apologies for the presenter):

Status Quo - Pictures Of Matchstick Men (1968)

And he was dropped just as they started to get successful in Pt. 2 of their career although this was one of his and recognisable as the beginning of their 'sound':

Status Quo - Mean Girl (1971)

He died in 2017 but leaves his career, cars and dolly birds behind him, as well as this fine compilation (among other releases):

Iggy's listening to jazz

Don't take my kindness for weakness...

RockitRon

Re: Now that's a varied career!

Post by RockitRon » Thu May 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Yes a good selection of his work there, and an homage to Raymond Lefèvre's hit along the way.

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Thu May 02, 2019 10:43 pm

Thanks for that.The rest of my class thought Helen Shapiro hot stuff.Couldn't see it myself.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Fri May 03, 2019 7:21 am

Psmith wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:43 pm
Thanks for that.The rest of my class thought Helen Shapiro hot stuff.Couldn't see it myself.
I once shared a house with a gay couple, one of whom sang backing vocals for Helen Shapiro on a touring package that included an up-and-coming pop combo by the name of The Beatles.

Iggy's listening to jazz

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Fri May 03, 2019 7:25 am

RockitRon wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:46 pm
Yes a good selection of his work there, and an homage to Raymond Lefèvre's hit along the way.
Good spot Ron - you've educated me there as I didn't know him or the origins of the tune. It looks like they nicked the graphics for the CD from his album too:

Iggy's listening to jazz

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sat May 04, 2019 4:10 pm

If you insist, here's: Quincy 'Q' Jones.

I'm trying not to just follow wikipedia so am picking from my own library which might leave the odd gap.

Jazz was his thing in his early career although he played trumpet behind Elvis a few times in 1956. He lived in Paris in the late 50's and had his own band which is presumably why the French vocal group Les Double Six recorded a whole album of his tunes (their lyrics) in 1960 that he conducted and arranged too. This is the one I've got:

Les Double Six - Rat Race

The first big hit he had was this kitsch classic used in Austin Powers, adverts etc.:

Quincy Jones - Soul Bossa Nova (1962)

He arranged for a lot of greats but these two together live are among the best. The album is Sinatra At The Sands but this is the same set up with Jones conducting:

Sinatra Basie1965

Lots of TV and movie themes in the 60's. This is a slightly later re-recording:

Quincy Jones - Ironside Theme

And the one that surprises many:

The Italian Job (pt 1) ultimate soundtrack suite by Quincy Jones

In the 70's he came up with funky pop including this slighty overlooked fave of mine:

Stuff Like That 1978

And in 1979 came my favourite MJ album:

Michael Jackson - Don’t Stop 'Til You Get Enough (Official Video)

And in 1980, using the same musicians and also Rod Temperton as writer, this one that many don't realise is one of his productions:

George Benson: Give Me the Night (Official Video Remastered) HQ

He also then masterminded an album called 'Thriller' that you may have heard...

The last album of his that I bought:

Quincy Jones ~ Back On The Block

And how about writing the music for this for release in 1990 (as well as producing the TV show):

Fresh Prince of Bel Air - FULL THEME SONG

He's been around working since and worked with Miles Davis on Miles's last album in 1991 but...what a career.

Iggy's listening to jazz