That "new" Beatles song

Julian Mince
That "new" Beatles song

Post by Julian Mince » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:19 am

As you all know, I drove to Birmingham yesterday. I was taking a colleague and instead of treating him to my Spotify playlist, which would have educated him musically no end, I thought I'd subject him to Radio 2 instead. All the way there we were subjected to that awful woman going on and on and on and on about the first play of the "new" Beatles track coming up later.

As you can probably imagine, we were both excited about this (not!) and couldn't wait for to hear it on the return journey. Well, not surprisingly when it finally came on after further build up, it turned out to be shit.
I know a man who taught his dog to play the trumpet on the London Underground.
He went from Barking to Tooting in an hour.

Phillip Phlopp

Re: That "new" Beatles song

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:59 am

The Beatles were a soundtrack to my teenage years so I'm a great fan of their work. Having said that when I heard about this new release and the excitement over the way it was produced I just thought, why? A rather redundant 'why' because there was an obvious answer and that was to make money and sell more of the back catalogue to those new to the band or oldies who forgot how much they liked the Beatles... and there has not been a better money-making machine than the Beatles. We have all the albums on vinyl and then on CD, Foxie and I would buy each other the Beatles anthologies and collections and rare track CDs. We have a shelf that groans under the weight of all the Beatles CDs.

I had an email a couple of weeks back from Spotify who, based on their algorithms of the music we listen to via their streaming service, wanted to flog me a 10" single of that new release. We have a 'music centre' from the 1990s that can still spin the LPs but haven't used it for 20-odd years. If that.

I don't listen to R2 so I haven't heard it yet. I still won't buy it though.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled"
- Mark Twain

Red Baron

Post by Red Baron » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:14 am

I've just heard it again. The way they've enhanced Lennon's voice is clever and the song is ok, nothing special though.
It's definitely a Lennon song, and you can tell it's one of his later work. I can see why George didn't like it.

Is it about the money? Not sure if it's just McCartney keeping himself busy, he was always into new technology. OH was commenting that McCartney's last album sounds really good - it's just the actual songs aren't up to much.

We also have all of the Beatles albums on vinyl and CD so I won't be buying any more.
“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:25 am

Back in the mists of time come Christmas the BBC would get all excited and say they had found an old Goons Show tape down the back of the sofa and it would be the highlight of their festive programming... then it was a missing VHS of a Morecambe and Wise Show... then it's outtakes of scenes that hit the cutting room floor. We're now moving into AI territory and it won't be long before it will be songs that the Beatles didn't actually write or perform but what they might have been performing now if Lennon and George hadn't died... look! Look! The AI Beatles liveish at Glastonbury!
- Mark Twain

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:51 am

Rather surprisingly, for a man of my advanced years, I have never bought or owned any Beatles stuff, either as a band or solo artists. That is unlikely to change any time soon.
Odd thing, ain't it... you meet people one at a time, they seem decent, they got brains that work, and then they get together and you hear the voice of the people. And it snarls.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:57 am

I heard it on Boom and it was as I imagined it would be, and agree it's a John song RB. I won't be buying it.

It will be 60 years since I saw the Beatles live on 23rd of this month and believe it or not I can still see them in my mind. I only have the the first 6 Lps, but one of them With the Beatles bought for me on release day 22 November 63 turns out to be a 'first pressing' one the label being different from later ones. Things I'll treasure forever!

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:13 am

Caroline, you missed the very first episode of Doctor Who to see four long haired scallys from Liverpool who were never going to amount to much. Shame on you 🤣🤣
Odd thing, ain't it... you meet people one at a time, they seem decent, they got brains that work, and then they get together and you hear the voice of the people. And it snarls.

Redpig59

Post by Redpig59 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:36 am

I liked it.
Very 'Beatles'.
A wanker AND a pansy apparently.
Oh, and a wimp, and 'not a real man'.

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:39 am

I remember my dear old dad prophesied in 1966 that the Beatles would be forgotten within a couple of years. This was around the time that he bought a coffin-sized radiogramophonic marvel of 1960s technology. Because at the time we didn't have a gramophone he bought an album called Marching With The Beatles by the Band Of The Irish Guards where the Mop Haired Foursome from Liverpool's music was systematically destroyed, track by track. It became a family joke where you had to guess which song they were annihilating as the LP was played.

Listen and weep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165HYG_ ... O4&index=1

Maybe the Irish Guards were getting their own back on Cromwell.
- Mark Twain

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:27 pm

Gaspode wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:13 am
Caroline, you missed the very first episode of Doctor Who to see four long haired scallys from Liverpool who were never going to amount to much. Shame on you 🤣🤣
I know! Mind as an 11 year old I was a bit scared of it when I did see an episode.....

RockitRon

Post by RockitRon » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:58 pm

Underwhelming is what it is.

John Lennon told us there was nothing of worth left hidden in bins or vaults or backs of drawers, and the three fragments they've found and augmented have proved that.

They've put a remix of Love Me Do on the single, and that sounds shit as well.

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:24 pm

Kerching!!

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:03 pm

Anyone else noticed there's a hint of Savile about the title?
- Mark Twain

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:11 pm

Just listened to it on Spotify. It's rather good... it sounds like it's from the Magical Mystery Tour era.

I assume the 0.00001p from my streaming it from Spotify will go to the Fab Two.
- Mark Twain

Julian Mince

Post by Julian Mince » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:38 pm

Phillip Phlopp wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:03 pm
Anyone else noticed there's a hint of Savile about the title?
'as it 'appens....

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:54 pm

Should anyone be interested there is a 'Beatles at the BBC' on BBC2 at 8.35 tonight followed by Mersey Sounds or something like that.

Julian Mince

Post by Julian Mince » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:47 pm

Caroline wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:54 pm
Should anyone be interested there is a 'Beatles at the BBC' on BBC2 at 8.35 tonight followed by Mersey Sounds or something like that.
Will they be playing their new song?

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:09 pm

I had this premonition when I was a kid that Ringo would die first. I'm glad I didn't mention this to anyone 'cos I would have felt silly when it was John who was the first to go.
- Mark Twain

RockitRon

Post by RockitRon » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:14 pm

Julian Mince wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:47 pm
Caroline wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:54 pm
Will they be playing their new song?
Yes, they did.

It's a fairly moot point as to whether it's really a Beatles song, since it was written by Lennon eight years after the group had finally ended.

Julian Mince

Post by Julian Mince » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:33 pm

RockitRon wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:14 pm

It's a fairly moot point as to whether it's really a Beatles song, since it was written by Lennon eight years after the group had finally ended.
Exactly that. It's Yoko clearing out her knicker drawer isn't it.