Glastonbury

Red Baron
Glastonbury

Post by Red Baron » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:54 am

We watched bits of this over the weekend and will catch up with iPlayer.

Guns n Roses were ok musically, plenty of energy even if Axl's voice is rough.

Foo's were the Foo's. Same as a few bands the sound quality, especially of the vocalists wasn't good.

Arctic Monkeys were boring and we gave up, though I've heard the second half was better.

Christine and the Queens was different, he did his new album which I don't know. It was very atmospheric and an amazing stage show which would have been fantastic live but not as intense on the TV.

Rick Astley and the Blossoms doing the Smiths was interesting..

Elton was fab. I noticed he's toned down his 'last ever gig' comments.

The set I liked most, so far, was Cat Stevens. He sounded exactly the same as his young self and it amazed me how many of the young audience knew all the words.
“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Phillip Phlopp

Re: Glastonbury

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:59 am

I was channel hopping yesterday and tripped over Elton Johnson's Final Final I Really Mean It This Time set at Glasto (as us pop music aficionados call it). I missed the beginning but really enjoyed a couple of hours of his back catalogue. Superb band and he showed enormous generosity by bringing on stage a few young 'uns that gave them worldwide exposure. Considering this was a live broadcast the BBC's slick production could have come from a pre-recorded event where directors and editors had sweated over for days on mixing desks.

Considering the bloke's age I was impressed his voice held out while banging out hours of top tunes but, there again, I realised he was able to do this by using a cunning voice saving method, he only sang about 64% of all the consonants and vowels in the lyrics. Clever.

The audience were absolutely fab, so many young people (and many a comely maiden astride their partner's shoulders) who knew all the words from songs from their grandparents' youth.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled"
- Mark Twain

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:07 am

Avoided it and will also avoid it on iplayer.
I don't do music festivals cuz I'm part of the counter culture man <does peace sign>
Odd thing, ain't it... you meet people one at a time, they seem decent, they got brains that work, and then they get together and you hear the voice of the people. And it snarls.

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:09 am

I blame Dylan for eschewing the acoustic for a leccie guitar.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled"
- Mark Twain

Redpig59

Post by Redpig59 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:40 pm

Well I heard Blondie singing Hanging on the Telephone from their set at Glastonbury on my journey home.
Jesus Fucking Christ.
That was dire!
A wanker AND a pansy apparently.
Oh, and a wimp, and 'not a real man'.