Legendary Rock Acts You Think Are OK ,But

Psmith
Legendary Rock Acts You Think Are OK ,But

Post by Psmith » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:22 am

... you don't go raving mad about them.

Pink Floyd would be mine.I've had many pub discussions with friends explaining to me how brilliant they are.
But it all goes over my head.

Red Baron

Re: Legendary Rock Acts You Think Are OK ,But

Post by Red Baron » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:48 am

Now I love Floyd.

However, while I don't mind some of their music we have no Stones in our collection.
“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:27 am

I can appreciate most of the really legendary bands, even those I actively dislike, because they're obviously good at what they do. For example, a cannot abide Coldplay but they knock out a good tune. Much the same with U2, although I don't actively dislike them.

I agree with RB on The Stones, just got 'Let It Bleed' which is like most Stones albums - some classics and a fair amount of filler.

I'm not a huge fan but I'm strangely liking The Who much more as I get older.

Not a big Pink Floyd fan either - got DSOTM which is great but appreciate them without wanting to listen to them much.

I'm a biggish fan of Led Zeppelin and, to a lesser degree, the other two in the 'Heavy Big Three' - Deep Purple and Black Sabbath.

I've mentioned Queen before - I liked them before they became the Freddie Show, not much after A Night At The Opera.

Cream I mostly like but not Clapton solo. Oasis are OK but I prefer Slade. The Stone Roses are OK but overrated. I appreciate The Smiths but have no desire to listen to them.

Nirvana, Joy Division and the Velvet Underground are deserved legends.

I don't listen to The Beatles much but they stand alone and really are that good.

On punk, as frequently mentioned, I worshipped The Clash in their early days and saw them many times but went in a different direction musically and have never listened to them much since. Saw The Sex Pistols too in '77, as well as The Damned and pretty much every other reasonably successful punk band and they've aged better than I would have thought.

But...you can take every one of these bands out of my music library but leave me with the greatest proper noisy rock band in the world: The Stooges.

T.V. Eye (Remastered Version)

The Stooges - I wanna be your dog (1969)

Iggy's listening to jazz

Don't take my kindness for weakness...

Undie

Post by Undie » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:47 am

The Beatles I suppose is mine, I wouldn't go as far as saying I don't like them but for the most am just not bothered by them. I never used to like them at all but have grown to like a few.

Maybe I'm just too young to appreciate what they did for pop music first hand and they had changed it by the time I knew any better

Claude Balls

Post by Claude Balls » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:49 pm

David Bowie.
And Prince.
Is it safe now to admit this?

Redpig59

Post by Redpig59 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:00 pm

Yes to Bowie.
There are some unpleasant rumours about him and very young girls bubbling up too.
A wanker AND a pansy apparently.
Oh, and a wimp, and 'not a real man'.

Red Baron

Post by Red Baron » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:38 pm

I think the majority of musicians from the 60's and 70's would be subject to those 'rumours' - and a lot would be true. I spent many hours at Newcastle City Hall - and there were always girls desperate to get into the dressing rooms/tour buses. Many did, I knew one or two.
I'm not saying it's right but it seemed to be accepted back then.

Anyway, I didn't like Prince, loved Bowie - but not all of his music.

The Beatles have a massive place in my heart - but the songs I like best have changed over the years, that is probably one of the strengths of their songwriting. Again, I don't like everything.

I'm not a massive Zepplin fan, only a few tunes, same with Sabbath and Deep Purple. I think I was more inclined towards Grateful Dead, The Allman Brothers, and Jefferson Airplane at that point. Velvet Underground as well, Lou Reed was another City Hall trip - expensive at £1.10 ticket.......

Cream were an early favourite - the boys spent hours trying to emulate Clapton on guitar. Wasn't impressed when I saw him in concert though.
Free were the first I saw - their differences - and Paul Kossoff's drug problems probably damaged what could have been a longer career.

Rory Gallagher - Taste first- was and still is a massive favourite.

It's probably an age thing - but Oasis are so boring.....

If I could only keep one..... probably Beatles - but Rory would be close.
“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:47 pm

Of the oldies,The Beatles and The Velvet Underground are those I return to quite often.Otherwise I like to discover new stuff and this message board has certainly helped in that regard.

Redpig59

Post by Redpig59 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:16 pm

The Beatles are above reproach
A wanker AND a pansy apparently.
Oh, and a wimp, and 'not a real man'.

Turnipsock

Post by Turnipsock » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:32 am

Maximus wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:27 am

I've mentioned Queen before - I liked them before they became the Freddie Show, not much after A Night At The Opera.

Cream I mostly like but not Clapton solo. Oasis are OK but I prefer Slade. The Stone Roses are OK but overrated. I appreciate The Smiths but have no desire to listen to them.

On punk, as frequently mentioned, I worshipped The Clash in their early days and saw them many times but went in a different direction musically and have never listened to them much since. Saw The Sex Pistols too in '77, as well as The Damned and pretty much every other reasonably successful punk band and they've aged better than I would have thought.
Sarha Cox has a first and last thing, I can remember my first gig but not my last. First gig was Queen (technically it was Hustler, the support) in about 74. I haven't been able to remember my last gig but tonight it came to me...Sparks.

Saw the sex pistols at Dundee college of technology, 76, only time they came to Scotland.
How do you turn off signatures?

Turnipsock

Post by Turnipsock » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:37 am

I've got about ten DVDs, two are Rory, one is Queen. The rest, Golden Earring, Woodstock, The Last Waltz, The Who and Warren Zevon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3JmtMCJ0ok
How do you turn off signatures?

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:51 am

The Brit pop scene was a barren wasteland before the Beatles.(exc: the Shadows)

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:46 am

Turnipsock wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:32 am
Maximus wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:27 am

Sarha Cox has a first and last thing, I can remember my first gig but not my last. First gig was Queen (technically it was Hustler, the support) in about 74. I haven't been able to remember my last gig but tonight it came to me...Sparks.

Saw the sex pistols at Dundee college of technology, 76, only time they came to Scotland.
Those are three great-sounding gigs.

I would have seen the Pistols in '76 but they cancelled the tour. Still, I met the guitarist of Penetration at the box office trying to buy tickets and I ended up being good friends with the band. Most of those who saw them that early say that it was musically poor but very exciting and different.

I'm interested whether early Queen were good - I preferred them then, as I said, although they were good when I saw them in '75.

I saw Sparks a couple of years ago and they were really great.

Iggy's listening to jazz

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:08 pm

There's a couple of bands missing from this list, The Doors (great rock band) and Steely Dan (rock and jazz fusion plus a few influences).
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled"
- Mark Twain

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:24 pm

Some of The Doors albums were a bit self indulgent but there's a good collection of their best here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et3SdIOchRw
- Mark Twain

Undie

Post by Undie » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:36 pm

First and last albums for me with the Doors. LA Woman being their best/my favourite

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:47 pm

I'm a Doors fan without actually having much of their music.

I think it's fair to say that I'm a fan of the group rather than the cult of Jim, particularly Ray Manzarek's organ (no sniggering) which had a big influence on Dave Greenfield of The Stranglers. That's not to say Jim wasn't a big part of what made them special.

Steely Dan are incomparable, there's nothing else like them really and they are/were superb.

Iggy's listening to jazz

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:53 pm

I particularly like Steely Dan's Aja, great sounds and beautifully produced. The album cover ticks all my design boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... -yXfbTHOcz
- Mark Twain

West LW

Post by West LW » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Foo Fighters

One of those bands that those with self proclaimed music "taste" rave about but I just don't get. Talented for sure, but legends nahh.

Not a fan of 60s music in general so the Beatles can be met with a meh too.
"It may be irrational of me, but human beings are quite my favourite species"

"Now drop your weapons, or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby"

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:30 am

Pfft. These young 'uns don't appreciate great music.
- Mark Twain