Loaded

Maximus
Re: Loaded

Post by Maximus » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:11 am

Undie wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:17 pm
Bloody auto correct Nancy Wilson

Ode to ......
Right, I've got that one on a comp. plus a few others, although that's the best.
She was signed by Capitol Records in the late 1970s and in an attempt to broaden her appeal she cut the album Life, Love and Harmony, an album of soulful, funky dance cuts that included the track "Sunshine", which was to become one of her most sought-after recordings (albeit among supporters of the rare soul scene with whom she would not usually register).
Yep, got that one too - very jazz-funky more than rare soul in my book but still a top tune:

Sunshine - Nancy Wilson

I can recommend the album featured on the YT which is where I got the track - the other two volumes are pretty good too - jazz-funk with an emphasis on the jazz.

As to Nancy Williams - did find a couple by her on YT Gassy, very nice too.

Iggy's listening to jazz

Don't take my kindness for weakness...

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Maximus wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:11 am
As to Nancy Williams - did find a couple by her on YT Gassy, very nice too.
I obviously meant Nancy Wilson Max <doh>

I too have no idea who Natalie Williams is as well.

My tablets and booze mix ok until the booze to tablet ratio is increased. TBH it should be no booze at all but you all know me...
Odd thing, ain't it... you meet people one at a time, they seem decent, they got brains that work, and then they get together and you hear the voice of the people. And it snarls.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:55 pm

😀

Iggy's listening to jazz

Undie

Post by Undie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Daft old sods at The Lightbox have not only scheduled us in for December 28th but have asked us to play NYE (not all of it though)

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Maximus wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:11 am
as to Nancy Williams - did find a couple by her on YT Gassy, very nice too.
Just in case you thought I hadn't bothered actually looking and am a bullshitting bastard. Heard plenty worse than this:

Summertime, Nancy Williams

Iggy's listening to jazz

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Undie wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:44 pm
Daft old sods at The Lightbox have not only scheduled us in for December 28th but have asked us to play NYE (not all of it though)
That's the life of a superstar DJ, Undi - move over Pete Tong...

Iggy's listening to jazz

Undie

Post by Undie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:29 am

Part Deux on Friday.
Much more enjoyable this time, not sure if it was the lack of mine and my partners OH's not being there or just being more relaxed this time.
The owner of the pub had her night off and specially came in to our night, I like her great taste in music.

We think we have found our niche of songs to play. Play some great tunes not everyone would have heard of mixed in with some big ones, then as it gets later keep the dance floor full. We played well past the 1 oclock shut off this week, playing a mix of really old funky stuff that we played v early on last time. Not many of the same crowd as last time which meant we could repeat some stuff.

I drank way too much by the end and was hanging Saturday

Favourite tune that I played
https://youtu.be/NV2vzfbxkQ4 or https://youtu.be/giwMVWR5ETA

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:17 am

Sounds great Undi and I love those two tunes as well.

Iggy's listening to jazz

Undie

Post by Undie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:21 pm

This was requested on Friday but to my shame I didn't know of it, luckily my partner did

https://youtu.be/6VYxQ8PfKVU

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Undie wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:21 pm
This was requested on Friday but to my shame I didn't know of it, luckily my partner did

https://youtu.be/6VYxQ8PfKVU
That's a fun tune too - sounds like a fair few others but nice bass and breaks...

Iggy's listening to jazz

Undie

Post by Undie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:40 pm

Number 3 tomorrow night plus 2 hours NYE

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:48 pm

Undie wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:40 pm
Number 3 tomorrow night plus 2 hours NYE
How did they go?

What bangers got the best NYE response?

Iggy's listening to jazz

Undie

Post by Undie » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:36 am

Friday was a strange night, normally when we set up there are 5-10 people already there but no one was about. Tricky in between Christmas and new year but by the end of the night the bar had took 1700.00, shy of our good ones but considering it seemed quieter the crowd drank a lot. It was a good night despite me driving

New Year was a little tricky, no one danced for our set but we were part of a night that had disco/funk and then house music . After chatting to lots of people afterwards we were well received and think we made some new friends that might come to our regular nights, I enjoyed myself. OH was stuck at home as sitter let us down, home by 1 though. Speaking to some of the other dj's they were still there at 6.00. Sod that at my age

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:38 pm

In my entire life I've only ever had one 'legendary' NYE and I was off work for a week afterwards with bronchitis (I was in the fountains at Trafalgar Square so that probably contributed) so that sounds like a decent night.

I guess that means you had to stick to the more indie stuff rather than the dancey stuff the others played - always going to be a handicap.

Iggy's listening to jazz

Undie

Post by Undie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:11 am

Looking back, I don't think i've had many "great nights" out on NYE. Usually there was something that annoyed me that I remember more that how good the night was. Ex's with bad shoes or headaches, poor drugs, poor venues, idiots, etc etc, which is why we haven't left the house for a good few years.
Maximus wrote:I guess that means you had to stick to the more indie stuff rather than the dancey stuff the others played - always going to be a handicap.
Not especially, because we knew we would be playing to a dance crowd we kept it up beat.
We played Girls and Boys, I am the Resurrection, Cannonball and Movin on up which are pretty indie sounding songs, 2 especially.

I played Cavern by Liquid Liquid, mostly recognised as the "original" of White Lines. Magic Fly and then fairly obvious "our" kind of dance tunes. New Order, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Daft Punk and finished Bowie's Lets Dance. I really enjoyed the stuff we played.

it was said maybe if the venue opens at 8 next year and we start at 9 maybe by 9.30-10 there will be enough in to get some on the dancefloor, but as I said everyone we spoke to afterwards loved our stuff

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:47 am

That's another good setlist and certainly dancey enough for the majority.

Had to look up Cannonball - presuming that's The Breeders I liked it and would fit in nicely with the set.

The Liquid Liquid album has been on my wants list for a while now, their 'Optimo' is on one of the New York Noise comps I've mentioned.

Iggy's listening to jazz

SuzySu

Post by SuzySu » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:48 am

Being a fan of ‘White Lines’ & having never heard of Carven by Liquid Liquid, I’ve just listened to it, if I’d have heard it anywhere, I’d have assumed White Lines was the original. When I saw Duran Duran a few years ago, they sang White Lines & I was surprised that it was quite good. As for good nights out on NYE, I’ve been known to still be in the pub when the birds wake up, but that was before I became a Mum :)
My Son Says I'm The Best Mum In The World 🙂

Undie

Post by Undie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:48 pm

I am not keen on Duran Duran much but know Niles Rogers talks about them a lot, I did pick up a bunch of cds (car boot lot type thing) and their version of White Lines was on a compilation. I thought I'd give it a listen without prejudice (well I tried) thinking if it was any good could play it out as an alternative to Flash & Melle Mel's version. Needless to say I won't be playing it out

Undie

Post by Undie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Trying to work these two into sets but keep forgetting to play them

Chase - Morodor

The End - John Carpenter disco remix

Undie

Post by Undie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 pm

This month we are going for a Prodigy hour.
Although I have never been a massive fan they have been important to the scene that I am very much part of now, his Firestarter image has been used on at least one of our old flyers a very 90's image.

The suicide of someone of a similar age has bothered me, and It only seems fitting to have some sort of tribute. Even if it is just to say "I'm here if anyone needs me"

However the biggest news is that we have just been booked to play the Pride march after party in June, I love a bit gay disco and really looking forward to mixing some cheese in with some normal material