David Bowie.

Psmith
David Bowie.

Post by Psmith » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Died 10 January 2016.
Rock legend,very influential and all round good egg apparently.
Did his music do it for you?

Red Baron

Re: David Bowie.

Post by Red Baron » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 pm

Totally.

One of my all time musical heroes. I don't like everything he did - but I don't think there is any one musician who I could say that about.

His influence on my teenage years, the memories I have of his music with special friends, is immense.

I was lucky enough to see him in his Ziggy days, absolutely mesmerising.

I cried when he died - on my wedding anniversary.

Iman put a comment out yesterday, 'You weren't just a star to me, you were my whole damn sky'.
“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Undie

Post by Undie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 pm

Yep.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:59 am

RB introduced me to him when I was a wee girl, loved him.

Undie

Post by Undie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:02 am

Undie wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 pm
Yep.
To add to this.

My uncle had a picture of the Aladdin Sane photo on his wall when I was a kid and he still lived with my nan and grandad and the image stuck in my head but he used to play an album I think called the" David Bowie Greatest Hits" that had all his late 60's stuff on it and David Jones songs too which was my first introduction to him. Please Mr Gravedigger, Love you til Tuesday and The Laughing Gnome. I know he came to hate that song but I still think it's great fun.

I spent a fair bit of my late teens listening to his Glam stuff like Ziggy but these days it's Let's Dance is the song I hear the most. It has been my favourite for a good few years now and always fills the floor on our club nights

juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:33 pm

I liked his early stuff, not so keen on the later offerings.

When I'm asked about my favorite song of all time the answer can vary between quite a number but Heroes will always be there or there abouts.

There is a fantastic live version on youtube, which I can't post right now as I'm on my works PC and don't have access to YT.

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Lets Dance is the only record I have.
While all my contemporaries raved about Ziggy,I didn't get it .Too theatrical for me.

Phillip Phlopp

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:34 am

The only DB music I bought is Hunky Dory that I have on vinyl, audio-cassette and CD (twice*).

I'm with Junior with Heroes.

* I don't know how that happened.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled"
- Mark Twain

SuzySu

Post by SuzySu » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 pm

I like David Bowie, I also cried when he died, although I’ll bet I don’t know half his songs, he’s one of the few Artists I wanted to see live, but never did 🎶🎵
My Son Says I'm The Best Mum In The World 🙂

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:43 am

Undie wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:02 am
Undie wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 pm
Yep.
To add to this.

My uncle had a picture of the Aladdin Sane photo on his wall when I was a kid and he still lived with my nan and grandad and the image stuck in my head but he used to play an album I think called the" David Bowie Greatest Hits" that had all his late 60's stuff on it and David Jones songs too which was my first introduction to him. Please Mr Gravedigger, Love you til Tuesday and The Laughing Gnome. I know he came to hate that song but I still think it's great fun.

I spent a fair bit of my late teens listening to his Glam stuff like Ziggy but these days it's Let's Dance is the song I hear the most. It has been my favourite for a good few years now and always fills the floor on our club nights
Please Mr Gravedigger came up on shuffle the other day and spooked me greatly.

That was because Miles did a teenage (free) download of practically everything he ever did when he died and it ended up on my i-tunes too. It has widened my Bowie listening although some of it isn't great like an eight-minute live version of Panic In Detroit (if I remember correctly) which mostly consisted of a Carlos Alomar guitar solo.

Let's Dance has added Nile Rogers and that's never been a bad thing.

I remember that 'Starman edition' of Top Of The Pops and a mate had Ziggy Stardust and the couple of albums before it (Hunky D and Man who...). I was never a huge fan but I have known people (of both sexes) who say that, by making outsiderdom more acceptable, he changed their lives.

Can't touch the 'Berlin' albums in my opinion and he was great live when I saw him around the same time (the gig where I saw Iggy in the toilets during Bowie's set).

His influence went beyond music of course and started the whole 'soulboy' look (wedge haircuts, pegged trousers etc.) as well as influencing punk and new romantics and much besides.

If anything, my appreciation of him has only grown since his death.

Iggy's listening to jazz

Don't take my kindness for weakness...

Turnipsock

Post by Turnipsock » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:54 am

OK listen up. There is vote thing on the BBC, Bowie is the person to vote for. He could end up winning the whole thing.
How do you turn off signatures?