Gigs

Red Baron
Re: Gigs

Post by Red Baron » Tue May 21, 2019 2:50 pm

Mark Knopfler at the Albert Hall tonight. Could have seen him in Newcastle on Sunday but the sound quality at the arena is abysmal. Very considerate of him to be playing London while we're here. Looking forward to being in the Albert Hall.

Ruby Turner is doing the Mouth of the Tyne festival this weekend.
“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue May 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Red Baron wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:50 pm
Mark Knopfler at the Albert Hall tonight. Could have seen him in Newcastle on Sunday but the sound quality at the arena is abysmal. Very considerate of him to be playing London while we're here. Looking forward to being in the Albert Hall.

Ruby Turner is doing the Mouth of the Tyne festival this weekend.
Ahhhh, not last night's Lebanese violinist then?

I'm a bit disappointed...

Iggy's listening to jazz

Don't take my kindness for weakness...

Red Baron

Post by Red Baron » Wed May 22, 2019 10:45 am

:lol:
There was a violinist with the band but without the hair!

One of the things I love about a MK concert is the way he has the whole band, all 10 of them, showing their talents. It's not just about him.

Shame about the idiot behind us who kept shouting out - as if he could be heard... Luckily he stopped, he might have needed a word :twisted:

Great music, new and old, finishing with Brothers in Arms and Local Hero.

Albert Hall is beautiful, we had a great view from our seats - there is no way you would get me up on the top rows!!! :shock:

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Wed May 22, 2019 11:03 am

Red Baron wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:45 am
:lol:
There was a violinist with the band but without the hair!

One of the things I love about a MK concert is the way he has the whole band, all 10 of them, showing their talents. It's not just about him.

Shame about the idiot behind us who kept shouting out - as if he could be heard... Luckily he stopped, he might have needed a word :twisted:

Great music, new and old, finishing with Brothers in Arms and Local Hero.

Albert Hall is beautiful, we had a great view from our seats - there is no way you would get me up on the top rows!!! :shock:
:lol: When you posted on Monday and said you were going to the AH I checked on who was playing and he came up! I did suspect that the Tuesday night was more likely.

Yes, the AH is great - Mrs Max has sung there with the John Lewis Partnership choir which was a fantastic experience. I've seen a few people there including George Benson and, back in the day, The Lighthouse Family (they met and formed the band at Newcastle Uni - not a lot of people know that).

And, yes, The Gods are pretty scary - I've never been to the top but haven't been far away. :shock:

I was never much of a Straits fan, although I get it, but his solo work is interesting and, like him, I'm a big Chet Atkins fan so this is fantastic:

Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins - Instrumental Medley

Iggy's listening to jazz

Undie

Post by Undie » Wed May 22, 2019 11:38 am

I've been there a few times, the first time I wasn't that impressed. The sound great but the walkways where the bars are felt like it had been well past its best. That said the other times I've been they had revamped those areas and it was much better.

Spiritualized twice and Howard Shore conducting the LOTR's soundtrack

I have sat up in the high seats, it is a long way down

Undie

Post by Undie » Wed May 22, 2019 11:40 am

Maximus wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:10 pm
That's tough - personally I'd go Peggy on the basis of never having seen her before but...
The only thing that doesn't put her above the others, is that she is just djing where the others are playing live. That said she is great and sure like all producer/dj's will play her own stuff to a respective crowd

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Wed May 22, 2019 12:01 pm

Undie wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:40 am
Maximus wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:10 pm
That's tough - personally I'd go Peggy on the basis of never having seen her before but...
The only thing that doesn't put her above the others, is that she is just djing where the others are playing live. That said she is great and sure like all producer/dj's will play her own stuff to a respective crowd
Ahhh. Still a tough call.

My thing with the walkways at the AH is the photos of previous performances, some making me very jealous of those that were there...

Iggy's listening to jazz

Claude Balls

Post by Claude Balls » Wed May 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Just bought tix for Mark Knopfler at the Hydro on Sunday - hope you're on commission RB?

Red Baron

Post by Red Baron » Fri May 24, 2019 7:11 am

I wish.... I hope you have a good night.

Undie, I agree it could do with some updating - more toilets would be useful - they have scaffolding up outside so something is getting sorted. It would be good to stand at the very top, I imagine the sound quality would be fab. Don't fancy those seats though!

And yes, Max, those photos.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Mon May 27, 2019 7:45 am

I knew 5 songs! Mark Knopfler (and the band) were fab!

Red Baron

Post by Red Baron » Mon May 27, 2019 8:12 am

Glad you enjoyed it, Lisa. The whole band just seem to be having such fun which I love.

We saw Eric Clapton once, he just stood there and yes, played a mean guitar, but his attitude was 'Yes, I'm brilliant but I'm bored'. Hardly spoke to the crowd at all.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Thu May 30, 2019 11:25 am

It's a bit short notice but if Red or anyone wants a great musical night out then get along to The Cluny on Saturday Night for Dale Watson.

I saw him last night in London and it's country music as it should be with humour and sensitivity and the best, tightest, small band I've heard in ages.

Highly, highly recommended.

Iggy's listening to jazz

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Spice Girls Tour.
There have been sound problems in Dublin and Cardiff, and apparently people are complaining that they can hear them.