Gigs

Red Baron
Gigs

Post by Red Baron » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:20 pm

I know we had a thread about upcoming gigs or ones we've been to with reviews.

There hasn't been much on this year up here, a bit disappointing but we went down to Manchester to see Christine and the Queens last night. I've enjoyed her music since she did 'tilted' but wasn't too sure about seeing her live.
However, it was an excellent night. She can really sing, is an amazing dancer and quite mesmerising to watch. She has a good sense of humour and quite open about her quest in life to deal with her struggle to find herself, including details of a playground incident which seems to have kick started her search. She sings in French and English - and is an obvious Jackson fan - both Michael and Janet.

She finished by heading up onto the higher floor and sang from the balcony and then raced through the O2 audience and back to the stage.

The dancers are super, my daughter said she felt they were a little controlled by the choreography needed for the songs - but the opportunity to express themselves came later.

The only down side was the support girl who tried to be a rapper - and was absolutely awful, too loud, painfully so, and many of her lyrics were rip offs.
“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Psmith

Re: Gigs

Post by Psmith » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:34 pm

There's one I'd like to go to but can't afford.
Primavera Sound,Barcelona.
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/primavera- ... obyn-more/

Undie

Post by Undie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Psmith wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:34 pm
There's one I'd like to go to but can't afford.
Primavera Sound,Barcelona.
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/primavera- ... obyn-more/
I had a pass from the wife to go to Primavera this year. Things haven't worked out well enough to go for me and my mate I gig with so we'd binned it. Last year I thought was one of the best line ups from any festival I'd ever seen, this year a little disappointed if i'm honest.

There's still plenty on that I would enjoy but not enough to warrant a trip abroad along with the extra costs. There will be plenty more to add to that list though.

This is the one I will go to instead of Barcelona, last years Nick Cave, Patti Smith was a great day. This year Chemical Brothers, Spritualized, Primal Scream and Hot Chip. Yes Please

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:37 pm

I would go just to see Sterolab.:)
I've only ever really listened to Screamadelica and wasn't too impressed.Are there other PS you can recommend?

Undie

Post by Undie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Xtrmintr or Exterminator is my next favourite after Screamadelica, krautrock in style, Vanishing point isnt bad but as a Stones fan id say Give out but dont give up.

I love stereolab , saw them years ago. French Disko is a cracking tune

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:58 pm

Thanks,I'll give it a whirl.

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 am

I've done Xtrmintr and I like it.
Call me crazy but it reminded me of this:
The Velvets
I heard her call my name
https://youtu.be/DtgM8IHDZx0

Undie

Post by Undie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:10 am

May I point you in the general direction of Spiritualized, I may have mentioned on this board once or twice how much I love them. 1997's Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space is my favourite album.
I have seen them 10-12 times, think have only missed 1 tour since they started.

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks ,when I stumble upon them I'll give them a go.:)

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Yes that Spiritualized record I like very much.
The one track CopShootCop is the name of a band I was very keen on at one time and had completely forgotten.

Undie

Post by Undie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Yes, I remember them. A hardcore band from the US if I remember correctly. A bit noisey for me but similar period to Big Black, Black Flag and the Alternative Tentacles stuff that Jello Biafra produced (I think) .

Back to that masterpiece by Spiritualized, Broken Heart is just something else. A few years ago I went to a performance of that album, they played it from start to finish. I had never heard them play cool waves live before then.
The album before that one Lazer Guided Melodies almost qualifies them in the dream pop / shoe gaze thread (but better) also J's previous band Spacemen 3 worth a listen

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks,I have heard of Spacemen3 ,they were in a Peel Festive Fifty at sometime.

Undie

Post by Undie » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:23 pm

A little bored this afternoon, gone and brought tickets for the Friday 24th

Three of my favourite bands, one i've seen loads of times, another a few and the headline I have never seen.
Besides really liking Peggy Gou at the moment and Hot Chip and Ibibio Sound System have done some cracking stuff.

Ooh just noticed Jon Hopkins on there to, happy days

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Sunday would be my choice of the three but Friday looks as though it was practically hand-picked for you...

Iggy's listening to jazz

Don't take my kindness for weakness...

Undie

Post by Undie » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Maximus wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:28 pm
Sunday would be my choice of the three but Friday looks as though it was practically hand-picked for you...
There's plenty on all three days if I'm honest but yes, difficult to miss a line up for as strong as that for my music taste

Claude Balls

Post by Claude Balls » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:21 pm

Please avoid Connan Mockasin at all costs

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:31 pm

Claude Balls wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:21 pm
Please avoid Connan Mockasin at all costs
Nice to see he's still at it! Nothing wrong with a bit of comedy amongst the music. Unless he's started singing properly and has stopped doing that weird throat thing.

Undie

Post by Undie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:38 am

The Orb are playing a 30th anniversary tour and ridiculously small venues. Even the little club where we used to do our reunion nights. Strange, the one and only time I saw them (94-96 ish) their equipment was as big as then venue they are playing at.

Still, got me and OH tickets, June

Undie

Post by Undie » Tue May 21, 2019 1:05 pm

4 acts i really wanted to see, all on at tye same or similar time. :cry:
Going to play it by ear and see what we fancy

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue May 21, 2019 2:10 pm

That's tough - personally I'd go Peggy on the basis of never having seen her before but...

Saw Big Sandy in Brixton a few weeks ago and fine he was too although I would have liked a bit more western swing/country and a bit less rockabilly (it was a very middle-aged rockabilly crowd - fun but the music's a bit samey) but it was great. A bit like this:

https://youtu.be/BLhPZoPJKqs

Then followed Lee 'Scratch' Perry with my mate The Mad Professor. Scratch didn't do much except ramble around the stage talking over 'live' dub but that's true of a lot of his music in general and he is a genius. A bit like this:

LEE 'SCRATCH' PERRY - Apolo, Barcelona 2019

That was the night I realised I was too old for getting back home at 5.30 in the morning...

Next week another countryish gig, he plays sub-genre of traditional country 'honky-tonk' music. Hopefully a bit like this:

Austin360 Studio Sessions: Episode 50 Dale Watson

Iggy's listening to jazz

Don't take my kindness for weakness...