BBC4

Post by Undie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 pm

Primal scream list Memphis tapes, followed by Reggae Fever, David Rodigan

Well worth catching up. Cracking telly

Maximus

Re: BBC4

Post by Maximus » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:16 am

Must check those out.

I've seen something on Rodigan fairly recently but I don't think it's that.

His autobiography is on my list and an interesting guy - back in the 80's I used to get 'yard tapes' from some of my mates which were reggae sound 'clashes' recorded live in Jamaica and, surprisingly in many ways, he featured regularly alongside some of the very heavyweight sounds of the day.

This is later but gives an idea with him clashing with Jaro (Killamanjaro sound system) in New York (needs a certain experience of soundclash culture - perhaps this is what Loaded is like!):

Sound Clash - Killamanjaro vs David Rodigan New York 1997 Part 5

Iggy's listening to jazz

Don't take my kindness for weakness...

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:34 pm

Catch the Rodigan doc Max, it is excellent.

His view on being a White man in a Black world I can really identify with. He's a legend....
Odd thing, ain't it... you meet people one at a time, they seem decent, they got brains that work, and then they get together and you hear the voice of the people. And it snarls.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Watched the Rodigan and enjoyed it.

That said, I actually prefer the BBC4 docs where I have little or no knowledge of the subject because I know most of the content and I'd prefer more depth. That's not a criticism because the BBC need to aim the docs at an average watcher.

On the Rodigan doc it was worse because they had to use a certain amount of time giving a general history of reggae to put Rodigan's career in context. Personally, I would have liked to have a bit more about his family - we saw two mixed race lads of the same name, presumably sons, but there was nothing else.

I also think they slightly played down the straightforward danger of getting involved in the Jamaican reggae scene - many of the artists that made dubplates for him had, or caused, violent deaths although many of the 'murder' lyrics relate to musical murder rather than actual murder.

Still, I think his love of the music was recognised and kept him out of trouble, something I can strongly identify with...

Iggy's listening to jazz

Don't take my kindness for weakness...