Live Music.

Maximus
Re: Live Music.

Post by Maximus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:19 am

Interesting thread.

Wish I could see more live music these days but time and money...

I was lucky enough to see a huge amount of live music in the 70's/80's in particular, including just about every possible punk band, most of them several times (including XTC - Gassy knows that's a particular rarity).

I will say that many of the gigs are a bit hazy given time and my probable state at the time of attending - I tend to remember events surrounding the gigs more than the gigs themselves including being backstage with The Clash and The Slits and getting kicked in the head by a bouncer watching The Sex Pistols at the Middlesbrough Rock Garden. Another was Spandau Ballet on the HMS Belfast before they were signed when you really had to be in the know and part of that scene to see them. The first hip-hop performances in London with Afrika Bambaataa and Grandmaster Flash were pretty special.

I guess my top gigs would have to include Curtis Mayfield and Al Green among the soul men, Anita Baker early in her career, Chucho Valdez the incredible Cuban jazz pianist, Bowie in the late 70's, The Clash and The Cramps of course, a Latin legend double-bill of Celia Cruz and Tito Puente, but the winner is:

Iggy, live at Newcastle City Hall, 26th September 1977, Bowie on keyboards.

As a complete swerve, this guy is completely unrelated to any of the above being basically a little known folkie one-man-band type but he's incredible live. This clip doesn't really do him justice but gives a flavour:

Love Like A Rock - Rory McLeod

Iggy's listening to jazz

Don't take my kindness for weakness...

Undie

Post by Undie » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:29 am

There has been an increase in 1 day festivals in London in the last 5 or 6 years. They are usually good value for a full day of music 70 ish quid
Max you really need to get to one of these
Field Day
All Points East
Citadel

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:39 pm

I like Iggy.
He's very famous in Oz for this live performance :

https://youtu.be/UMtH58M3HXA

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:46 am

Another Fall (sorry about that) in front of a not very enthusiastic crowd.
What about us ?
https://youtu.be/_godSE6RJy0

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:11 am

Stereolab
French Disko
https://youtu.be/IH3aQJj119Y

on The Word.

RockitRon

Post by RockitRon » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:27 am

Saw Van Morrison at Nottingham's Royal Concert Hall on Monday.
He was very good really, he's in far better voice than most of his peers.
Gave us a good peppering of his back catalogue, steering clear of Moondance and Brown Eyed Girl (there were mutterings about that amongst the audience as they left) and just three from the new album.
Never an artist to warm to (as interaction we got "thank you" three times, but at least he didn't turn his back on us, as has been known) so the applause he got was respectful rather than rapturous. He did his advertised 90 minutes and walked out on the dot, unleashing his band to warm us up for the cold outside with a 12 minute coda to Gloria in lieu of an encore.

Psmith

Post by Psmith » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:31 pm

So he really is a grumpy old git then?
I would like to see him though.

Red Baron

Post by Red Baron » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:48 pm

We saw him a few years ago at Newcastle City Hall, he was good, just exactly as you say, Ron.

A friend of ours is a MASSIVE fan, follows him around. When they went to a show in Dublin(maybe) it was an 'intimate' gig in a hotel and they stayed there. He managed to sneak a listen to Van rehearsing - until Van spotted him and sent a security guy to politely tell him to leave and when they went for a walk in the hotel's grounds, he was out for a wander with his daughter. Still didn't get a reaction from him.
“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Undie

Post by Undie » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:03 am

Got a couple lined up today for next year.
Fountaine DC at the UEA in February but more importantly Kraftwerk and Iggy Pop at All points East in May.

Hope Iggy makes it.

His new stuff is great btw

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:15 pm

Going to see Jools Holland tonight, Ruby will be there, just to make Gassy jealous.

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Not in the slightest bit jealous Sandra.....
Odd thing, ain't it... you meet people one at a time, they seem decent, they got brains that work, and then they get together and you hear the voice of the people. And it snarls.

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:28 pm

Anyways I have the WWW at my fingertips when I need a Ruby fix..

I'd Rather Go Blind
Odd thing, ain't it... you meet people one at a time, they seem decent, they got brains that work, and then they get together and you hear the voice of the people. And it snarls.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:47 am

We’ve been to see Jools about five times over the years, it’s always a good show, but this one was the best so far.

The special guests were Pauline Black and Arthur (Gaps) Hendrickson from The Selecter, along with Eddi Reader. The Selecter two sang some great Ska stuff, including some oldies from the Selecter. They didn’t look like they’d aged a day in 40 years. Eddi Reader was absolutely superb, she’s got an awesome voice. However, as usual, Ruby came on and showed them how it’s done. What a woman.

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:27 pm

Sandra wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:47 am
Ruby came on and showed them how it’s done. What a woman.
Hell yeah! What a woman...

RockitRon

Post by RockitRon » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:15 pm

Saw The Script at the Nottingham Arena last night.
It was a good show, visually, but the Arena, and big venues of its ilk, is no place for aural enjoyment. You couldn't make out a word they were singing.
And what really bugs me is the constant stream of latecomers you have to get up for, some of whom ten minutes later decide they want to go and get a drink, and ten minutes after they've come back with it need to get past again to go to the toilet. Grr

Red Baron

Post by Red Baron » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:31 pm

We saw Bryan Ferry at Newcastle City Hall last week, He was excellent, a great range of his music.

I know what you mean about arena's Ron, we try to avoid them these days, the acoustics are abysmal. We try to get front row balcony seats these days, it limits how many people can stand up in front of you...... I don't get the going out for drinks bit, I pay to see the music. Also, I don't get the talking to the person sitting next to you when the show is going on......

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:52 pm

You surprise me Red, I had you down as a mosh pit kind of a lass...

Red Baron

Post by Red Baron » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:28 am

Ha, not these days, I'm too short to deal with big men standing in front of me.

I did have a reminisce of visits to the City Hall when I was young though. 😎

Undie

Post by Undie » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:52 pm

I went to see Fontaines DC last week. Very good, I was standing near back with folded arms as usual.

I love a front row balcony seat. At the front and seats, what's not to like

RockitRon

Post by RockitRon » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:11 am

Indeed. Rare as hen's teeth, though.

The other thing that bugs me about concerts is the apparent block booking taken up before the public get a look in. I managed to get tickets for Jools Holland (with Ruby Turner and, err, Leo Sayer) in December and Texas in October, both using the Friends of... pre-sale facility on the stroke of 10am. Row S for Jools and Row P for Texas were the best available (Irrespective of cost).